Sunday, March 8, 2009

There are a couple of great posts that I wanted to pass along that have truly helped motivate me this week. First, there is this post from Brynith over at BeeLifestyle. It's a nice recap of her progress with the primal lifestyle, and it's written with such honesty. http://www.brynith.com/blog/2009/03/04/primal-challenge-update/

Bee's post lead me to this post from Dr. Michael Eades,
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/statins/meditating-in-the-garden-of-self-loathing/ This is a great read about how we tend to put everyone else above ourselves priority wise. Both of these posts came at a really good time, as I needed a little lift this week.

Here's a delish crockpot recipe that I made this weekend. Put it in the crockpot the night before, and the BF was a little surprised when I said it was for breakfast, since he is generally one of those "traditionalist" who thinks breakfast has to be carb heavy. Once he tasted it though, there were no complaints.....though I did have tortillas for him so he could get his "fix."

Chile Verde
4-5 lb boneless Pork Shoulder Butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
17 oz diced green chiles
9 garlic cloves, chopped (or about 2 tbsp. minced garlic)
2-12 oz cans Whole Tomatillos, drained
Rind of ½ of an orange
2 Beef Bouillon cubes
½ tsp. Cumin
½ med White Onion, chopped
8 oz beer

In a dutch oven, or cast iron skillet, brown pork cubes in butter or bacon fat. Put browned pork in Crock-Pot with all other ingredients. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. Serve topped with avocado, sour cream and/or shredded cheese. This is very mild, so if you want some spice, add some hot sauce, or a diced Jalapeno.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, but I have a few issues with this recipe as a primal recipe:

    -For starters, I am assuming you are using wheat free beer, such as Redbridge
    -It contains bouillon cubes, which contain wheat in their colorant. This is the same caramel colorant that you have to watch out for when buying deli meat, such as turkey. However, there MAY be some gluten-free bouillon cubes out there somewhere, or you could use beef stock that you freeze as a reserve.

    Otherwise, I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments Kate! As my eating has evolved, so has this recipe! I've actually started making it using homemade chicken (or pork) stock, instead of the bouillon cubes and beer. I've also recently cut way back on dairy so instead of topping with sour cream and cheese, it's avocado only and maybe a touch of coconut milk to add some creaminess. I hope you try it and tweak to what works for you. I promise you won't be disappointed! Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete