Monday, February 14, 2011

How Expensive is Primal Eating?

Today there is a thread over on the MDA forum about the cost of eating primal. Overall, it seems people spend a good amount on primal foods and most are happy to do so. Common themes around the primal world are "pay the farmer, or pay the doctor" and as Joel Salatin says, "So you think clean eating is expensive? Have your priced cancer treatment lately?" And I agree that I am happy to spend the money on good, clean food. But it also got me thinking about what I am really spending. Sometimes, I feel like I am spending a lot, but that may be because I stock up on things for the freezer. And sometimes that is beneficial. For instance I stocked up last month on grass-fed beef so this month, I didn't need to buy any. The thread got me wondering what it actually costs per meal, per day. And I decided it's time I figure it out! So this week, I'm going to to start tracking and report back. And if I'm feeling super energetic, I'll even include pictures!! I'll be tracking EVERYTHING - tea, beverages, eating out, eating in, snacks, if it goes in my mouth, it's getting tracked. Since it's just me it should be fairly easy to do. I am also pretty proud of the fact that for the past several months, I've been adamant about only buying things on sale or with a coupon (granted a lot of that is household items and not food, but still, feeling pretty proud of myself for saving money!).
How much are you spending? Any tips for saving money on primal fare?

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to a breakdown of costs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit that I spend around $800 a month for food. I buy meat in bulk, I buy some things on amazon using subscribe and save, I buy on sale. However, I rarely have to spend money on doctor visits, or prescription drugs, or over the counter meds. So I guess it all balances out. We've have to give up some "extras" in our budget in order to afford eating well, but it is completely worth it.

    ReplyDelete