Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tomatillo Salsa Verde

In my CSA box today were some tomatillos (along with a white onion, cilantro and jalapenos, and limes....hmmmm). I don't know about you, but I've never cooked with fresh ones, the canned ones, yes, I have a recipe or two that I use those for. Anyway, along with the bounty came a recipe for Tomatillo Salsa Verde. Never made it before, but I love the stuff when I go to El Toro. Print this one out folks....it's a keeper!!!

Tomatillo Salsa Verde
1 lb fresh tomatillos
1/3 cup chopped white onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp sugar (I left it out, but it is so minor that it would probably be ok to leave in)
2 Jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and chopped (I only used one, not a huge fan of peppers)
Salt to taste

Remove papery husks from tomatillos; rinse well.
There are two ways to prepare the tomatillos, I used the roasting method.
Roasting method:
Cut tomatillos in half an place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under broiler for 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin.

Boiling method:
Place tomatillos in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.

Put all ingredients in blender or food processor and pulse until finely chopped and mixed. Chill in refrigerator and enjoy.

I had put it with diced pastured chicken, shredded raw cheddar and diced avocado...delish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment